Meet the Bar Meisters from across the nation
Welcome to Bartender Showcase featuring Minneapolis native, Soana Howitz! Bartender Showcase brings the best bartending talent from across the country. These passionate and gifted artists are leaders within the industry and are educating and inspiring through their shaker tins.
- Press play on Soana's Spotify playlist & enjoy the tunes.
- Learn about Soana's Minneapolis-inspired cocktail below.
Soana's Spotify playlist & inspiration
My inspiration behind the playlist is MN. The artists are from MN and I love that we have funk, pop, punk, folk, and so many other genres from my home state. This play list displays a tiny taste of our music diversity. I am a fan of variety.
Created by Soana Howitz
What do you love about your city?
I love the live music scene, restaurants, and bike trails. Minneapolis also has excellent art museums and exhibits, many free! The art installations throughout the city streets are so dope.
I really enjoy coffee, so Jägermeister Cold Brew was fun to experiment with mixing cocktails. I was inspired by after-dinner drinks, especially ones that are tasty in chilly weather. February in MN is cold. So, I wanted a drink that was appropriate for our freezing months. The Starfish Wish fits the bill. It has a bit of holiday flair to carry us through until Spring.
Cocktail Name: Starfish Wish
Name: Soana Howitz
- 1 ¼ parts Jägermeister
- 1 ½ parts Jägermeister Cold Brew Coffee
- 1 part Rumchata
- ½ part Sambuca
- 1 part Cold Press Coffee*
Garnish: 2 coffee beans and 1 anise star
Method: Add ingredients to a shaker with ice and shake. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with coffee beans and an anise star. Cheers, and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks: *Cold press coffee -
1. Combine a 1:2 ratio of coarsely ground organic coffee beans in cold water. Stir coffee grounds into water.
2. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for 24 hours.
3. Strain the coffee by lining a small strainer with a cheesecloth or flour sack. Pour contents through the cloth into a bowl. Transfer the coffee to a pitcher. The cold press coffee is strong and ready to enjoy.
I am a native of Northeast Minneapolis and I have worked in the service industry for 21 years. I like being helpful and I really enjoy meeting new folks (from different strokes).